Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon

$15.4 Million in Recovery Funding to Aid Conn.’s Adoption of Efficiency and Renewable Energy Technologies

July 1, 2009
Press Release

New Haven, CT – Congresswoman Rosa L. DeLauro (Conn. – 3) announced that Connecticut will receive $15.4 million in State Energy Program funding through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to create or protect jobs and save energy with several projects, including in-home energy audits and the deployment of a variety of technologies, such as alternative-fuel vehicles. This is 40% of the total State Energy Program funding authorized. The initial 10% ($3.6 million) of total funding was previously available to Connecticut to support planning activities and after the state demonstrates successful implementation of its plan, it will receive the remaining 50% of funds (an additional $19 million), for a total of $38 million.

“Promoting increased energy efficiency and greater use of renewable and alternative fuels will benefit our communities – creating green jobs, lowering utility bills, improving air quality and moving us to energy independence. This funding is a reflection of our commitment to the innovative efforts undertaken in Connecticut to meet those goals,” said DeLauro.

Specifically, Connecticut will use its SEP funding for the following projects:

Allow residents to take advantage of inexpensive in-home energy audits to save money on electricity bills: residents may request an in-home energy audit in which a specialist will perform an energy assessment, find and professionally seal critical leaks and drafts, replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps, provide and install water conservation devices, and check insulation and appliances.

Support four Clean Cities coalitions: funding will be used to support efforts to facilitate the adoption of alternative fuels and petroleum-reducing technologies. The four coalitions receiving this support are Norwich Clean Cities, Greater New Haven, Clean Cities of Southwestern Connecticut, and Capital Clean Cities.

The Recovery Act appropriated $3.1 billion to the State Energy Program to help achieve national energy independence goals and promote local economic recovery. States use these grants at the state and local level to create green jobs, address state energy priorities, and adopt emerging renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.